~by Haley Lynn Gray~
A few months ago, my Twitter account had about 580 followers. As of this week, I’ve crossed solidly into the 10,000 territory, with the number of followers growing daily at an impressive rate. In order to accomplish this, I had to change the way that I think about Twitter, and start to get really cozy and familiar with it so that I could start to get some results.
I’ve heard it said before that Twitter is dead, and that nobody uses Twitter. If my results are anything to go by, that is pretty far off the mark.
I’ve discovered that I can use Twitter to send traffic to join my Facebook Group, sign up for an opt-in, plus so many other things. Without these Twitter options, I might otherwise have to pay for Facebook Ads to accomplish the same things, but in this case, it’s absolutely free to me.
Here are the tools and tricks I’ve used to increase my Twitter following:
1. I set up a posting schedule to post 5, then 8, then 12 times a day. Now I post even more often than that. I post on a wide variety of topics so people will not get bored. I also use an auto-scheduler for this called Edgar. The dreamy part of Edgar is that it allows me to reuse content. When I’m posting 24 or more times per day, that’s key, because I could drive myself mad trying to keep up with the number of posts I need to make.
2. I started using a tool called Social Quant that has allowed me to specify keywords, and it handles the whole follow/un-follow thing on Twitter for me. I review my followers periodically and follow some people back, but Social Quant handles the vast majority of the following thing. I go in every week or two and clean up the keywords and I try new ones to look for more conversions.
3. Pinned content to the top of Twitter. Did you know that you can pin a tweet to the top of your Twitter feed? You can ask people to sign up for one of your opt-ins, attend a church service, or any of a bazillion other things. Just change it out every so often and you will get results.
4. Build lists of the people whose content you want to see and subdivide them according to interests. You can then look at the lists and see what these people have posted. It means you don’t have to see quite so much other stuff. You can make your lists public or private so you don’t have to share them with the world.
5. Re-tweet posts you love and add a comment to go with it. Don’t just hit the re-tweet button, but actually comment as you re-tweet. You’ll get a TON more engagement and interest.
6. Thank people for re-tweeting your content. A simple thanks goes a long way.
7. NO darn auto-responder that thanks people for following you. It comes across as exactly what it is – an auto-poster, and it is spam.
The more you interact with others on Twitter, the better your results will be.
Meet the Author: Haley Lynn Gray
Haley helps female entrepreneurs create a strategy plan for their businesses – so they can make enough money to spend quality time with their family, pay for their children’s dance lessons, pay bills – and not worry about where the next client is coming from.
Haley is a serial entrepreneur and founder of Leadership Girl. She helps other entrepreneurs build their businesses by sharing the benefits of her business education and experience through Business Coaching.
Whether you want to get a new business off the ground or expand an existing business, Haley can assist you.
Connect with Haley:
- Work with Haley: http://leadershipgirl.com/work-with-haley/
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Leadershipgirl
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/haleygray