When Nothing is Going Right
~by Haley Lynn Gray~
If you’re an entrepreneur, you’ve probably had those times where everything sucks. The sun sucks, your family sucks, the job sucks, clients suck, there’s not enough money, so that sucks too. Everything sucks, and you’re down in the dumps. Yuck! Blech!
It’s no fun when everything hits all at once, because you’re the person who everyone else is looking at to be the cheerleader, and the one in charge, making all the decisions. Did I mention that it sucks?
What are some things you can do when everything looks like a miserable, abject, utter failure?
11 Free and Cheap Ways to Get Out Of The Dumps
1. Call a friend. Call a dear friend and meet with them. Sometimes you just need to be around a familiar face. Lunch with my best friend is always a pick-me-up, and I make a point of going out to lunch with her at least once a week. It doesn’t matter how much I like the other people in my life, spending time around my best friend is a treat to myself, and a way to take care of myself.
2. Pet your Cat or Dog. I pick up the cat who likes to be picked up and petted, and just the action of stroking his silky fur will calm me down dramatically. This also releases endorphins, and releases a lot of tension. Strangely, things always look better after interacting with my cat.
3. Go for a Walk or get some Exercise. Exercise releases endorphins, and will help reduce your stress level. Getting a little bit of distance from your troubles also helps.
4. Get Some Sleep. Sometimes I burn the candle at both ends (Okay, a little more often than sometimes). Getting some sleep helps tremendously. When you’re tired, you’re more likely to be angry and weepy.
5. Take a Long Bath. The warm water is soothing. Throw in some Epsom salts (found at any drug store) to help soften your skin, and for added relaxation. Take the time when you get out of the tub to rub in some lovely moisturizer. You’ll be amazed at how much better you feel.
6. Take a Day Off. It is OK to take a day off every once in a while. In fact, it’s desirable to take a day off every week. There have been studies that show that the human mind and body needs to have one day a week off.
7. Jump Your Significant Other. It releases lots of endorphins and is an easy way to blow off some steam. Enough said.
8. Keep in Mind That This Too Shall Pass. Sometimes you just have to remind yourself that whatever it is that is setting you off will pass, and is not permanent.
9. Read Scripture or Affirmations. No matter what your religion is, read some scripture, affirmations, or uplifting reading.
10. Meditate. Sometimes the simple act of closing your eyes and breathing, and taking a few minutes to just be and exist will really help you deal with whatever it is that is setting you off.
11. Practice EFT. Check out some YouTube videos on EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), also known as Energy Tapping. This is a very simple way to release whatever blocks have you going in circles, and to deal with anger, disappointment, or other issues. Quite simply, you state that despite the fact that whatever is going wrong is going wrong, you deeply and completely love yourself, while tapping, one hand to the other. There are some more complex variations of this as well.
There are many ways to deal with stress, and to cope with those blah days when nothing is going well at work. Turn those sucky days around, and deal with them, and you will emerge better at the end of it all.
Meet the Author: Haley Lynn Gray
Haley helps female entrepreneurs create a strategy plan for their businesses – so they can make enough money to spend quality time with their family, pay for their children’s dance lessons, pay bills – and not worry about where the next client is coming from.
Haley is a serial entrepreneur and founder of Leadership Girl. She helps other entrepreneurs build their businesses by sharing the benefits of her business education and experience through Business Coaching.
Whether you want to get a new business off the ground or expand an existing business, Haley can assist you.
Connect with Haley:
- Work with Haley: http://leadershipgirl.com/work-with-haley/
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Leadershipgirl
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/haleygray