Working Mom Lori Kelly has 2 children and has been married for 7 years. She has been a hair stylist for almost 20 years and works part time at a small salon near her home. She is also a caretaker for her grandmother, and for her father who recently had a heart transplant.
Interview Q & A:
1. Do you stay at home, work at home, or work-outside the home?
I stay at home during the day and work outside my home about 20 hours a week.
2. How many kids do you have?
Two – 1 daughter and 1 son, ages 6 and 4.
3. What’s your go-to dinner during the week? Do you care to share a recipe?
I like crock pot dinners. It’s quick, easy, moist, and flavorful.
To beef or chicken, I usually add onions, carrots, potatoes, cream of mushroom soup and beef broth. I just toss in the vegetables, meat and seasonings, and let it go.
4. What are your best tips for staying sane?
Working outside my home keeps me sane. I love my children dearly, and I feel I can be a better mother and wife when I get time away from the home.
5. What are your favorite tools for time/household management?
I make a list every single day; I try not to make it unmanageable and I stick to it — I never put more on my list than I know I can accomplish that day. And I leave time open for unexpected events. If I don’t have a list, I forget to do things, and that stresses me out.
6. Do you have pets? If so, what kind?
Yes. One dog – a chocolate lab/basset hound mix. His name is Shorty.
7. What are your hobbies?
My job is my hobby because it lets me be creative.
8. What’s on your bucket list?
I don’t have one. I’m too busy to think about it, and I don’t really see the point. I don’t feel the need to think about what I haven’t done in my life, nor do I have time to sit and ponder what I could be doing as opposed to what I need to do right now. I choose to appreciate what I have rather than to focus on what I haven’t done.
9. If you work, what do you do? How did you decide?
I’m a hair stylist. My uncle was a hair stylist also, and I’ve always loved playing with hair.
10. If you work, what’s the most rewarding part about it?
My reward is making people feel beautiful; it’s instant gratification.
11. If you could choose any career, what would it be?
Hairstyling. I am happy to be able to do what I love and make money doing it.
12. If you could tell your younger self something, what would it be?
Find happiness within yourself. Don’t look to other people to make you happy.