Back when I first started my Facebook Group in 2015, I struggled with getting any kind of engagement started. Seriously. It was like I had crickets going on in the group! So frustrating!
I would post these super well-thought out posts. Then one day, I was so fed up I just wanted to cry, beat my head against the keyboard, and scream! Why weren’t these people engaging?? Like seriously. Why wouldn’t they respond to anything I wrote?
What I quickly learned is that they do respond, but you have to draw them out of their shells. So, I asked them a simple question: What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Suddenly I had over 100 responses. Out of nowhere.
I posted another, more in-depth question. Crickets.
So, I experimented with it. I discovered that mixing a combination of fun, different, interesting, and sometimes silly posts got more responses in the group.
I learned that in order to keep the group growing, and encourage deeper discussions, I had to engage with people, and put out thought provoking questions, and even answer them myself. Who would have thunk?
Getting the ball rolling on a conversation and getting people to engage on your social media accounts can be quite a challenge. It takes a variety of content such as helpful information, inspirational posts, or a simple question. But so many people are left wondering what they should post to get engagement. After all, getting organic engagement can be the Holy Grail for all social media marketers.
I’ve spent countless hours coming up with and building a list of social media conversation starters that would encourage people to respond to my posts in my Facebook Group and in my other social media accounts. I decided to share this list with you, so you could have some ideas, because people are always telling me that they struggle with this.
Try these out on your social media, and let me know how they work for you!
Here are 100 of my favorite conversation starters for social media:
1. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
3. What is your favorite small, local business? Why?
4. If you could be a Disney Princess, which one would you be?
5. If you could have dinner with any person living or dead, who would it be?
6. How many languages do you speak (and which ones)?
7. How many schools did you attend while growing up?
8. What is your favorite TV show?
9. What was the last great movie you saw?
10. Do you give money to panhandlers?
11. What is your favorite restaurant?
12. How many hours of sleep did you get last night?
13. What did you study in college and what do you do now?
14. What is your favorite way to keep healthy?
15. What is the last random act of kindness you performed?
16. Would you rather sit or stand all day?
17. What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
18. What one decision in your life would you go back and change?
19. Do you wear makeup?
20. Do you read your emails every day?
21. What one thing would you tell your 10 year old self?
22. What is your beverage of choice?
23. What is your go-to snack?
24. What part of the world are you in?
25. Have you ever gone skinny dipping?
26. What is your favorite social media platform?
27. When is the last time you ate out?
28. What is the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
30. What is the last picture on your camera?
31. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
32. iPhone or Android?
33. Could you live without social media?
34. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what one thing would you want to have?
35. What is your biggest accomplishment?
36. What is the highest level of education you’ve achieved, and what was it?
37. How old were you when you learned to swim?
38. How old were you when you learned to ride a bike?
39. Do you eat pizza with your hands or with a fork and knife?
40. What is your favorite memory as a child?
41. Who is your favorite Disney Character, and why?
42. If you won the lottery, what would you do?
43. How many hours per week do you tend to work on average?
44. What is your favorite day of the week?
45. Post a recent photo of yourself.
46. How do you stand out from everyone else in your industry?
47. What is your superpower?
48. If you could go back and change one decision from the early stages of your business, what would it be and why?
49. What is your favorite breakfast?
50. Who is your idol?
51. Tell me what your business is in five words or less.
52. What is your absolute favorite food?
53. What one beauty product could you not live without?
54. When you were little, what did you dream about becoming when you grew up?
55. What is your favorite easy dinner?
56. If you had unlimited funds in life, would you still be in your business?
57. When you need to destress, what is your favorite go-to activity?
58. What is your most productive time of day?
59. What is your favorite form of self care?
60. Describe your favorite pair of shoes.
61. Do you have pets? If so, what kind?
62. What is your favorite way to relax?
63. What is your favorite holiday?
65. What are your best time management tips?
66. What is your favorite quote?
67. Who is your favorite author?
68. Who is your favorite movie director?
69. What is your current favorite song?
70. Do you listen to music while you work?
71. What is your favorite animal?
72. When is the last time you did something extra special for someone else?
73. Do you know how to drive a stick shift?
74. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle?
75. What is the most exotic thing you’ve ever eaten?
76. What do you do in your spare time?
77. If you had all of the time in the universe, what would you do?
78. Who do you most admire, and why?
79. What are your favorite business tools?
80. How much time per week do you spend on social media?
81. Do you have a TV in your bedroom?
82. Do you keep your cell phone with you in the bedroom at night?
83. What are you grateful for today?
84. What’s your usual bedtime?
85. If you suddenly found $47 and had to give it to someone else, who would you give it to and why?
86. If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing in your business, what would it be?
87. What is the last book you read?
88. What is your favorite blog?
89. Do you have a regular exercise schedule?
90. How do you track your time?
91. How much do you exercise in a given week?
92. What is your quick and easy go-to breakfast?
93. What do you usually eat for lunch?
94. Do you use ceramic or plastic dishes?
95. Who is an ideal client for you?
96. Do you prefer the city or country?
98. Where do you consider yourself to be from?
99. Have you ever lived in another country?
100. Have you ever flown in an airplane?
Generally, the idea is to get people to come out of their box, and start answering questions that are pertinent to them. Ask them about things that matter to them, and they’ll answer.
Engagement isn’t just about posting, but sometimes it’s about answering other people’s posts too. You do need to have a good stable of posts ready to go, so I concocted a list of 100 post ideas to help you get started with other ideas too.