What’s the Secret to Getting People to Buy What You’re Selling?
On the subject of selling, one of my favorite sales gurus, Kendrick Shope, says “All things being equal, friends buy from friends. All things being unequal, friends still buy from friends”. There is one little secret to getting people to buy what you’re selling.
Truth: People buy with their emotions.
Think about it this way. Why the heck would people line up for days to buy the next version of the iPhone if they weren’t buying with their emotions?
They feel a deep desire for this THING. Because it’s sexy. It’s cool. It’s awesome. They have DESIRE.
When you think about someone buying from you, they desire what you have and what you’re selling.
People buy YOU first, then they buy your product or service.
So, when selling, how do you sell “you” first.
2. Next, you need to build relationships with people. You know, like perhaps actually interact with them, have a phone call, wish them a happy birthday, or meet for coffee. Crazy things that would involve having an actual, real, live, human relationship.
3. Then, once you have a relationship going, they might consider buying from you — if you have something that they want to buy. Honestly though, many people will never buy from you, and that’s okay. What you really want is for people to recommend you to all of their friends.
Another truth: People come online to be social, and they MAY decide to buy. But they decidedly do NOT come online to be sold to.
I know that it’s probably not what you want to hear. And you don’t want to believe that it is going to take people, on average, about 17 impressions before they even remember you online. Nor do you want to hear that you need to be messaging people wishing them a happy birthday, and learning their kids’ names, what their hobbies are, and just generally making friends. But like Kendrick said, all things being equal, friends buy from friends.
Your job is to go be a friend.
I’d love to invite you to come make some new friends at the Leadership Girl Live Summit, September 22 – 24. Join us for an event-filled weekend of networking, relationship building, and the possibility of meeting some new friends!
Have you been using Google as your business consultant?
Are you ready to start working with an expert in business instead?
Meet the Author: Haley Lynn Gray
Haley helps female entrepreneurs create a strategy plan for their businesses – so they can make enough money to spend quality time with their family, pay for their children’s dance lessons, pay bills – and not worry about where the next client is coming from.
Haley is a serial entrepreneur and founder of Leadership Girl. She helps other entrepreneurs build their businesses by sharing the benefits of her business education and experience through Business Coaching.
Whether you want to get a new business off the ground or expand an existing business, Haley can assist you.
Connect with Haley:
- Work with Haley: http://leadershipgirl.com/work-with-haley/
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Leadershipgirl
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/haleygray