Working Mom Nicole Bruno has 3 children. She is the co-founder of a non-profit organization called Guiding Lights, which provides support to family and professional caregivers.
Interview Q & A:
1. Do you stay at home, work at home, or work-outside the home?
2. How many kids do you have?
I have three children. Two boys, ages 10 & 8, and one girl, age 2.
3. What’s your go-to dinner during the week? Do you care to share a recipe?
I try to prepare a home cooked meal every night. I think that comes from my mom being a stay at home mom.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, (cut into bite-sized pieces) and coated with a mix of minced garlic and flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6oz can tomato paste
- 32oz beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups baby carrots carrots
- 4-5 small red potatoes,cut into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can of beer
- Brown beef in a skillet then add to crockpot.
- Combine beef, celery, carrots, red onion, potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, ½ can or bottle or beer and tomato paste in the crock pot. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6-7 hours. Transfer at the end to a regular pot, make Bisquick dumplings and enjoy!
4. What are your best tips for staying sane?
Work is an escape for me at times. I also enjoy the hours of the night when the house is totally at peace… when the kids are sleeping! Making it through days-off equates to trying to arrange for play dates to keep the boys entertained and not fighting. I find it hard to find special alone time with the little one.
5. What are your favorite tools for time/household management?
I love the Google calendar! I add when my kids assignments are due to my family calendar so they don’t miss a thing! I also order my groceries online from Harris Teeter, it is worth the $4.00 parking fee, plus I can stay on a budget, and lastly, Amazon Prime. It works great when I just don’t have time to shop.
6. Do you have pets? If so, what kind?
Yes. I have 2 cats, 1 dog, and 2 gold fish.
7. What are your hobbies?
I enjoy taking photos of my kids and creating photo books via Snapfish.
8. What’s on your bucket list?
I would love to travel the world some day.
9. If you work, what do you do? How did you decide?
Yes! I co-founded an area non-profit called Guiding Lights. We provide information, referrals, education, and support to family and professional caregivers. Entering the profession of working with older adults and people with chronic conditions just fell into my lap. I was planning on being a guidance counselor, but was then placed in an internship in a nursing home and fell in love with older adults! I later became a caregiver for my grandfather and realized that there were so many gaps in support of caregivers.
10. If you work, what’s the most rewarding part about it?
Hearing the relief in the voice of a caregiver when their journey has been made easier through our work.
11. If you could choose any career, what would it be?
I am happy with where I am! I don’t know what I am going to be when I grow up but I am going to enjoy the ride until I get there.
12. If you could tell your younger self something, what would it be?
Have more confidence; believe in yourself. Believe in the power of your dreams.